Monday, October 11, 2010

STOP WORK, make friends.

Change Hurts, Change is Good
My building was sold this July.
We now have new managers, new methods.

I am so sad to see Norman go.
Norman was a wonderful friend and building manager.
He was by far a friend before anything else.
When I rented my space, he went with vibe.
We talked about it, and felt it, as I applied.
He said 'I can just tell about people'...
...Norman built a community here.

All of my neighbors are wonderfully unique.
This is true of all people, I suppose.
Anyways, my building is a kind and friendly place.
For 10 years, Norman built this consciousness.

But that era ended with the new owners.
They are 'improving' things.
Change is hard and difference is different.
But not all change hurts.

You see..
..we have had new energy efficient lighting installed!
This is excellent (I even wrote a thank you card)!
Ultimately, though, the new management style is..
..abrasive.

I have embraced this reality.

I strive to make the best of it.

The new guard is the old guard.
Where compassion once reigned supreme..
..cold calculation now designates.
Norman was young, and all about community.
John, the new manager, is older and more rigid.
John is very nice, though, and I like him a lot.

I will describe the new changes some other time.
And document my reactions and reflections.
I need time for perspective first.

The short version:
My building was sold, and the future is different.
I used to write rent checks to 'Churchill Property Group'
Now they are written to 'Chartwell Construction INC'
It is scary to write to a construction company.
They are replacing windows and renovating kitchens.
This is good, but already I miss the quaint past.

Recently, the City of Vancouver posted this out front.
It is a Stop Work order, for failure to acquire permits.
The City Inspector noticed new interior/exterior constructions.
These included new windows, dry wall work, and plumbing.
It is interesting how this information is posted publicly.





I'm not sure how to feel about it.
I want confidence in the new owners of my building.
There is a militaristic ordinance vibe in manager-to-tenant interactions.
If they would only show such diligence in how they run their business!
i.e. permit acquisition..

So, I embrace the new rigidity, in all its hypocrisy.
Making friends makes life easier.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this andy- i have a wiser outlook and wider perspective after reading your thoughts.

normansam said...

Hey Andy I just reserved this blog post from a former resident if willowstan who nye solid his time between new york and toronto. He is a computer consultant. Thank you for your kind words. Relationships are a two way street and your presence in the building was quite valuable to me and many others who called Willowstan home. Thanks for being cool and making the Willowstan the community it was.
Norman

normansam said...

Andy my swype keyboard does not always work

kndrewa said...

No Prob, Norman!
My swype acts up too!