Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Kyles Imaginary Billboard

A few weeks ago, my highschool art buddy Kyle posted an interesting article.



Click HERE to read the article.

It describes a piece of art near the US/Canada border.
The art has been installed at the crossing I most often use!
I happened to be heading to Seattle the day after I read the article.

The timing and mixture of these great things excited me.
An old friend, a creative piece of art, and synchronicity.

The proximity to the border puts this art in a high security area.
It is not possible to stop anywhere near the art at all.
That fact coupled with the darkness meant I only got one good shot.
The US border agents were quite serious and alarmed.
They wouldn't let me exit the vehicle for a photo.



I totally forgot about the art piece when returning to Canada.
It was early in the morning and I was concentrating on getting to work.
There was instant significance and impact for me as I glimpsed the art.
It forced me into a reaction of dedication and focus to get a better picture.
I approached the Canadian border at a suspiciously slow speed.
Construction workers on the US Border Facility heightened the interest dramatically.

This is truly a remarkable piece of art.
It should be a monument for its human affect.
It invokes curious thought and powerful language.

Framing a living background, the art changes as your own perspective shifts.
I contrasted the art to our society's lust for consumerism shouted by billboards.
Imagine how much more wondrous a drive from place to place would be without ads.
Our travels would imprint meaningful memories upon us about the geography.
We would notice architecture, landscape, colors, and crops.
Seasons, scents, and scenery would all be more vivid.


Indeed, this was one fine billboard, the greatest I have ever seen.
Natural beauty is infinite and always in motion.










Thanks for the inspiration to seek and document his experience, Kyle!

No comments: