Wednesday, November 24, 2010

camera FYI



FYI, my only camera is quite used.
It is dented, scratched, and the screen is broken.
This is awesome, though; because it truly liberates my photographs.

I never 'check to see if its a good shot' - because I can't.
Nor do I 'care very much about it getting scratched' - because it is.
I am enabled, worry free, to take pictures while rock climbing.
Or whilst performing dirty, oily, mechanical work on my jeep.

There isn't even a view finder.
So, I don't worry about composition beyond a general sense.
This often makes for intriguing shots, because they are never perfect.

The camera has held up to my use and abuse for years.
And it still performs flawlessly.
However, a puff of smoke is emitted every time I use the flash.
This is quite comical.

It did take a while to decipher the menus without a screen.
Unfortunately, I can't take macro shots any longer.
I have managed to figure out how to turn the flash on or off.
That has been enough for me, though.

Today, cameras like mine are a dime a dozen.
Just as common are high end DSLRs.
It makes me feel good when people ask me what camera I use.
This query underscores that a camera doesn't make a photographer.
The photos make the photographer.

All of these things make a hybrid photographer of me.
And that is exactly the type I'd like to be.
  • Old (wait for development to view, aka, download from card)
  • New (take a million pictures because they are free)

3 comments:

KC said...

... how did you take a picture of your camera, if your camera is what you were taking a picture of?

o_O

kndrewa said...

clever girl!

AdamM said...

Is there a 'like' button on this blog?