Wednesday, June 18, 2014

careful dis assembly and reconstruction

It was submerged in a mountain lake,
but for only a few seconds,
I powered it off immediately.
I slurped water from its ports.

For 3 days it lay,
in bag of rice.

I powered it on,
and behold it worked great!

But the down volume button was stucketh on.
Hence this careful dis assembly and reconstruction.

I used 99% alchohol to remove the rust and chemical build up.
The initial reaction with water caused only mild surface reaction.

After the cleaning, the phone went together fine and worked fine.
However, the down volume button was still stucketh on.
I hadn't broken anything, nor fixed it.

Down button + power on button = safe boot mode.
This meant every time the device powered on, it was in safe mode.
Restricting it to only run factory installed apps.
So it was only a phone, the internet, email, a camera and a text message device.

I used it as such for a month, no games, tools, or custom apps.
But my most beloved use of this device is GPS tracking, a custom app!

So I took it apart again!

The second time I soaked the motherboard and tactile key strip in alcohol.
Not just brushed the surface - but rather soaked the electronics in 99% alcohol fluid for an hour.

I let it dry, and put it back together, and it's working perfectly now!


No comments: