Monday, March 7, 2011

PCV Fitting Fix

I broke my rear PCV fitting while installing my header.
The purpose of this fitting is Crank Case Ventilation.
A plastic elbow is countersunk through a rubber washer in the valve cover.
As temperatures rise in the engine, air expands and needs somewhere to go.
This hot air is vented from the valve cover to the air box through the PCV fitting.
Turns out, this is a common problem as the rubber and plastic get brittle with age.

The new elbow and grommet are easily installed by hand.
A pair of screwdrivers are all that is needed to pry the old parts out.

I drove with my Duct Taped 'temporary' fix for a week or two...
...Good ole duct tape.

The new grommet is installed first.
It is made of rubber and can be squeezed into place in the valve cover.

The new elbow is installed and re-connected to the intake manifold.
Just like new!

No comments: