Monday, March 2, 2009

AirCare Emissions Test

I read mail that said my Jeep has to pass an emissions test.
Otherwise, I can't renew my insurance, which is due next week.
I have been meaning to replace some ignition parts anyhow.
So, today, I did some work on my Jeep and took the emissions test.

(some ignition components should be replaced on your vehicle routinely - these include the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, and spark plug wires {pictured below} - the ignition system is what jack nicholson disabled in the shining to prevent olive oil and the kid from getting away in the snowcat)
Step 1: Decide What To Do
  1. ensure a back-up plan is executable in case of emissions test failure.
  2. take the day off of work, but still get up early and fix your Jeep.
  3. this ensures you have the week to make/execute your back-up plan.

Step 2:
Clean The Jeep
  1. look for fresh signs to identify where spare tires and toolboxes have been - these can be used as indicators for where to replace the contents of the vehicle after it has been cleansed:
  2. throw miscellany away from floorboards:
  3. use the brush like its your teeth:
  4. take glamour shots in a weird alley downtown:
Step 3: Install the Parts
  1. work like this is best done in your garage:
  2. the right parts and the right tools make any job easier:
  3. this time can be used as an excuse to do any small side-projects you've been meaning to get around to - i installed a fire extinguisher - i used to keep the last one rolling around in the back, but one time i was trying to get something and i hit the trigger and my face got blasted and the whole back of the Jeep was a disaster that couldn't burn:
  4. old ignition components VS new ignition components:
  5. new VS old - spark plugs:
  6. old VS new - rotor:
  7. keep track of which post goes to which cylinder!
Step 4: Take the Test
  1. official documentation declaring compliance with air quality:
  2. break into a raw materials plant and take one final artsy glamor shot - hopefully with a cement truck in the bkgd:
  3. park the Jeep in the garage, you did it!

3 comments:

Bryant Castro said...

Pretty Jeep!

Anonymous said...

Dear Andy Klein,

I am a Writing Workshop coach in a large urban school district. I ran across your informational how-to piece of writing and I would like to use it with my students and with teachers. Please respond ASAP if I have your permission to use your writing as an example of a tightly woven, sequential technical writing piece.

I lookward to more of your posts.

Sincerely,

Writing Coach in a large urban district (in the United States)

Fancy Drew said...

my inspiration for howwowpowwow! xoxo